ZVOX 550 Reviews
"...the Z-Base 550 is an ear popping experience."
- - HDTV Solutions
- "When listening to the Z-Base 550, my ears rejoiced in a grateful hallelujah. No longer did they have to strain to hear dialog being muddied by integrated TV speakers. And the soundtracks of action movies richochet around the room. And music was sung by a heavenly choir. Hallelujah!...If you are looking for a superior sounding replacement for your TV speakers, I recommend the Z-Base 550 wholeheartedly. It's a simple to use, one box solution that is ideal for those of you that are not ready to commit to a more expensive 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system." Read More
"...delivers significantly better audio performance than dad can get out of the TV's own speakers."
- - Jonathan Takiff, Philadelphia Daily News
- "the box delivered good to very good sound, depending on the source material, with plenty of bass, a nicely forward (for voice clarity) mid-range, bright high frequencies and volume galore.”
"The simplest possible solution with the best sound."
- - Home Theater
- "The ZVOX 550 handles dialogue better than any soundbar speaker I’ve heard. If you want the simplest possible solution with the best sound, this is your ticket.”
"The best solution to date for simple home theater sound."
- - Sound & Vision
- "The best solution to date for simple home theater sound. Explosions and gunshots seemed to come from actual left and right speakers sitting a couple of feet to either side of the TV, and the sound engulfed my listening chair. The effect was more convincing than I've heard from two-speaker surround-emulation technologies such as SRS and Dolby Virtual Speaker. The Z-Base is as foolproof as a home theater audio system can get, and it delivers satisfying sound that won't leave you wishing you'd instead bought a home theater in a box”
"The Perfect Setup."
- - EngadgetHD.com
- "The 550 is a real winner….it not only fits easily into a flat panel display installation, it can actually be part of the installation. Its tonal balance overall provides sound quality miles beyond anything we've heard from speakers built into a TV. We really like the approach ZVOX has taken here in not compromising on sound quality. Music was very enjoyable, and soundtracks were clear when watching movies. These products are all about generating high quality sound from a single cabinet, and they do so without sounding overprocessed (especially off-axis) like we've heard in some soundbars that are laden with more bells and whistles. Good, clean sound in a small, simple package -- sounds like a perfect setup for the den or bedroom, doesn't it?”
- - Big Picture. Big Sound.
- "Quite clearly falls into the audiophile category... The 550’s box disappeared replaced by a wide soundstage and open, airy sound with a lush, warm midrange and surprising extension/weight on the bottom…it will sound absolutely wonderful. Delicate airy highs, warm, rich, detailed midrange, and a deep, satisfying foundation....had me wondering how a sound system at this price point could sound this good. If you want to hear the dialog, enjoy the music, and at times, simply lose yourself in what you’re watching or listening to, then the Z-Base 550 may just be exactly what you’re looking for."
"A great choice."
- - The Boston Globe
- "We were suprised by the quality and sheer power of the audio. You can put your TV on top of it and – poof – you’re done. No fuss. No muss. A great choice."
"A slam-dunk win."
- - CNET
- "The Z-Base 550 is a gigantic step up from the speakers built into TVs. Oh boy, the Mission Impossible III Blu-ray instantly sounded like a slam-dunk win for the Z-Base 550. The action sequences had credible impact and dynamics…The orchestral string tone sounded nice and warm, and the speaker did a great job with the various duets with singers such as K.D. Lang and Diana Krall. The ZVOX had a richer, bigger sound, and dialog was more naturally balanced."
"Accurate and detailed."
- - Audioholics
- "The Z-Base provided an amazingly wide sound stage on most of the tracks I listened to…On "Want To" the system produced a great, wide soundstage, but left Nettles vocal out front with a very natural sound. The mandolin section throughout "These Are the Days" is successfully reproduced so that it sounded like finger picking on a stringed instrument…One of the most surprising things about this system was its accurate and detailed presentation of the music. Often lost on systems costing much more, the Z-Base 550 always allowed the music to sound like music. For example, you could actually hear the picking of strings in the intro to "The Last Plane Out", while many systems at this price you get the gist of the song, but you lose the details. I noticed all my favorite details in the music on this system. The toys chirping in the intro to "Toy Matinee" came in from way off to the left of the room. If you don't believe me ask my dog! He immediately got up and went to left corner of the room looking for a toy! I did find myself amazed by the sound quality and wide sound stage created by this system…No question this was the easiest set up of any review EVER!"