ZVOX Audio Z-Base 420 Single Cabinet Sound System
Low-Profile Single-Cabinet Surround Sound System
Click here to be notified when this product becomes available.
- Sound Bar Home Theater Fits Under Your TV
- Perfect For Most TVs 32" - 50"
- Surround Sound Without Multiple Speakers & Wires
- No External Subwoofer - Everything's Built-In
- Super-Clear Vocals
- "Loud Commercial Control" Technology
- Front-Panel iPod®/Portable Connection
- Works With Your Remote
A Note About Hookup Compatibility and Dolby Decoding. The ZVOX 420 system does not include a Dolby Digital decoder. This affects how it connects to your TV. ZVOX Audio can advise you on how it would connect to your TV if you email us at email@example.com or call 866-367-9869. Let us know your TV brand and model number.
Our Z-Base 420 sound bar delivers wonderful, room-filling home theater sound -- without a bunch of boxes, lots of wires and a big price tag. Only 3.5" high, 27 9/16" wide and 14.5" deep, the 420 fits under your TV. There are no external speakers, subwoofers or speaker wires! Most people won't notice it until you turn it on.
The 420's sound quality is excellent because we use high performance speakers and amplifiers. And unlike any other sound bar in its price category, the Z-Base 420 uses a wood (MDF) cabinet -- not plastic. Our PhaseCue II virtual surround system create 3D sound with movies or music. And hookup is super-simple -- just one connecting wire and a one-page owner's manual. You can even teach the ZVOX 420 to respond to your TV or cable box remote control!
High quality surround sound doesn't have to be complicated, messy and expensive. The Z-Base 420 is the right choice for most people looking for a home theater or TV sound system.
Crystal-Clear Vocals. Our Dialog Emphasis feature uses hearing aid technology to make voices unbelievably clear. It's amazing.
Tame Loud Commercials. Tired of commercials that blast you out of your chair? Our Output Leveling feature reacts instantly and turns them down to a lower level. You'll love it.
PhaseCue® II Virtual Surround Sound. The 420 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music.. While no virtual surround system - including ours - will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 420 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue processing "remarkably ingenious."
Disappearing Display. The 420 features a four-digit display located behind the speaker grille that shows the current setting for volume, bass, treble and PhaseCue II® (virtual surround) - and also shows when you have engaged the Mute, Output Leveling (OL) or Dialog Emphasis (DE) features. A few seconds after you stop using your remote (or front panel) controls, the display disappears completely.
Uses Your Remote Control. The new Z-Base system can be programmed to respond to your remote control. The illuminated display walks you through a less-than-a-minute programming cycle. Then your TV remote...or cable box remote...or satellite receiver remote...or ANY remote...can control volume, mute, power and input functions of the ZVOX system.
Multiple Inputs...including front-panel connection for iPod® and other portable devices. The 420 has two analog audio inputs, one optical (Toslink) digital input, one coaxial digital input - plus a front panel 3.5mm analog stereo input for convenient connection of your iPod or other portable audio device. Any specific input can be selected using either the remote control or the slim-line module below the speaker grille.
Just Plain Great Sound. The most important feature for any home theater system is high quality sound. The 420 uses premium quality speakers and amplifiers and was designed by our team of "New England Sound" speaker designers. We think you will be amazed at just how good such a small system can sound.
Note: A ZVOX 420 system can be connected to a TV or cable box in three different ways: 1) analog output jacks (normally a red and white set of jacks labeled “Audio Out”) or 2) an optical digital jack (a fiber optic cable sometimes called “toslink”) that sends digital signals to the ZVOX or 3) a coaxial digital jack (a single cable that sends digital signals to the ZVOX. If you need help connecting your system, feel free to call us toll free: (866) FOR-ZVOX (866) 367-9869 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE have your TV’s brand and model number when you call us, or include that information in your email.
Click each benefit for more details
It's Compact.(Read More)
The Z-Base 420 is only 27.6” wide by 14.5” deep by 3.5” high. Everything is inside this compact cabinet – speakers, amplifier, virtual surround circuitry and powered subwoofer.
Simple Installation.(Read More)
The 420 requires only one connecting cord -- you can use either analog or digital connection options. Connect the one cord and you're done. You can place the 420 directly beneath most 32" to 50" TVs. * TV base should not exceed 27" in width or 13" in depth. TV should not exceed 110 pounds in weight. Safety instructions in Z-Base 420 Operating Instructions and in TV's Operating Instructions should be closely examined and followed.
Simple To Use.(Read More)
In about one minute you can follow a simple routine that will "teach" the ZVOX 420 to respond to the commands of your TV or cable/satellite remote control. So you can control volume, mute, input and power with your remote, not ours. When you've finished the routine, turning on your TV will automatically turn on the ZVOX system. About three minutes after you turn off your TV, the ZVOX system will automatically go into standby mode.
Virtual Surround Sound.(Read More)
The 420 uses ZVOX’s proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. With music, PhaseCue II creates a very wide soundstage – it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other. When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelope you – putting you in the middle of the action. While no virtual surround system – including ours – will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 420 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue system “remarkably ingenious.”
No Skimping On Speaker Quality (Read More)
Most audio systems in our price category use very cheap speakers in plastic cabinets. But at ZVOX we’re “old school” about things like this. We use nothing but high quality speaker drivers, carefully designed by ZVOX engineers and manufactured to our specification. The 420 uses specially treated long-excursion main drivers. The cabinet is MDF (medium density fiberboard), the same material uses in most high-end loudspeakers.
Editorial Accolades.(Read More)
Here's what the critics say about ZVOX sound systems:
"An audiophile quality system." - Stereophile
"An awesome system...remarkably ingenious." - Sound + Vision
"Creates a sonic dance." - The New York Times
"Bigger audio dynamite." - The Wall Street Journal
"Best Buy." - Consumers Digest
"Best audio product of the year." - CNET
"Knockout sound." - MSNBC
"A single box powerhouse." - Men's Journal
"Home theater product of the year." - About.com
"Impressive sound without the clutter." - TV Guide
Technical Details (Read More)
- Dimensions: 27.6"W x 14.5"D x 3.5"H
- Weight: 17 pounds. With box and packing: 19.6 pounds.
- Amplifier: 45 watts with digital power supply
- Rear inputs: (2) analog stereo inputs, (1) optical (Toslink) digital input, (1) coaxial digital input.
- Front input: (1) 3.5mm stereo front panel input.
- Frequency range: 45 Hz - 20 kHz..
- Virtual surround sound: The 420 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround sound processing. PhaseCue II, as its name implies, manipulates the phase of the separate channels to "fool the ear" into believing that sound is coming from a variety of sources throughout the room. The benefits of PhaseCue II vary greatly based on program material. Live music and well-recorded modern movie soundtracks will deliver rich, three-dimensional sound - pulling the sound out from the speakers and into the room, literally surrounding the listener. Note: All virtual surround systems - including the PhaseCue II system - are limited in their effects when compared to a good 5.1 system. And sitcoms, news broadcasts and soundtracks from older movies often have very little in the way of three-dimensional sound. That being said, PhaseCue II is capable of generating a wonderful and engaging virtual surround experience.
- The 420 is bi-amplified, using a specially designed amplifier that includes electronic contouring for superb frequency response.
- The 420's 5.25" subwoofer uses a high-mass long-throw design in a ported enclosure.
- The 420's five 2" main speaker drivers use a long-throw design to create remarkably wide range, accurate sound.
- Unlike most systems in its category, the 420 uses an MDF (medium density fiberboard) wood cabinet - instead of molded plastic. MDF is the preferred construction material for high-performance speaker systems.
- Accepts 100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz.
- The ZVOX 420 is backed by a one year limited parts and labor warranty.
What's In The Box?(Read More)
- One 1-meter stereo 3.5mm mini-jack to mini-jack connecting cord
- One 2-meter toslink (optical digital) connecting cable
- One remote control with power on/off, volume up/down, mute, PhaseCue II (three level settings), bass up/down and treble up/down, input selection, Output Leveling (OL), Dialog Emphasis (DE).
- Power adapter and cord
- One-sheet safety instructions and operations manual, fast setup sheet and remote control programming instruction sheet.
The ZVOX 30-Day Home Audition
Every ZVOX purchase is backed by our 30-day money-back guarantee. Try the system in your home — with your movies and music. If you don't love it, return it.
Write an online review and share your thoughts!