ZVOX Audio 430HSD
High-Performance Single-Cabinet "Sound Bar" Surround Sound System with Optical and Coaxial Digital Inputs
"The ZVOX 430 Sound Bar is an almost perfect blend of high quality audio components and simple user interface...Sound quality is superb, easily surpassing same-priced surround systems that put more money into cool features than they do into the speakers themselves. While $450 might sound a lot for a single “speaker”, it is well worth the money if you just want rich sounding audio with none of the hassle."-hometheaterinaboxreview.com (Click here to read the entire Home Theater In A Box Review article)
In a world filled with flashy plastic sound bars, the ZVOX 430HSD system stands out. Handcrafted from wood (medium density fiberboard), with hand-lacquered end-panels, the 430HSD’s compact design encloses three high-performance speakers, a powerful amplifier and a powered subwoofer.
Created by famous speaker designer Winslow Burhoe (formerly with AR®, KLH®, EPI® and Boston Acoustics®), it uses our acclaimed PhaseCue™ virtual surround sound system for rich, three-dimensional sound without annoying digital artifacts. The 430HSD delivers high quality, room-filling sound without the need for external speakers, external subwoofer or speaker wires. With only a single connecting wire, hookup is simple. No other company can match its combination of performance, elegance and simplicity.
The new ZVOX 430HSD delivers the sound quality of its predecessor, the 415HSD – but with improved EQ circuitry, deeper bass response thanks to a front-panel speaker port, a more versatile remote control and a nicer vinyl cabinet finish.
Like all our systems, the 430HSD delivers realistic, lifelike sound. Movies come alive. Music sounds like music – rich and alive. Inside its slim cabinet (30.4”w x 5.7" h x 5”d) are three 3.25” main speakers, a 4” subwoofer with a flared port, an amplifier and our exclusive PhaseCue virtual surround sound system. Connect just one cord to your TV and you’ve created a great-sounding, easy-to-use home theater system.
What is it?
The ZVOX 430HSD is a true single-cabinet surround sound system. Unlike many similar systems and “soundbars,” the 430HSD doesn’t require anything else – no control console, no separate subwoofer cabinet, no other speakers, no speaker wires. Because it’s all in one slim cabinet, the 430HSD is visually a perfect match for flat-panel TVs. With only one connecting cord and a one-page owner’s manual, it is truly “plug and play.” Like all our systems, the 430HSD was created by Legendary speaker designer Winslow Burhoe (founder of EPI Loudspeakers, formerly with AR, KLH and Boston Acoustics).
Click each benefit for more details
It’s Compact (Read More)
The 430HSD is only 30.4” wide by 5” deep by 5.7" high. With optional bracket, you can mount it on the wall below your TV. Or it will easily fit on a shelf above or below your TV. Everything is inside this compact cabinet – speakers, amplifier, virtual surround circuitry and powered subwoofer.
Simple Installation (Read More)
The 430HSD requires only one connecting cord. Hook it up to the analog or digital audio output jacks on your TV – or the TV’s headphone jack – and you’re virtually done. You can place the 430HSD above or below your TV, on a stand or shelf – or mounted on the wall (with optional bracket). Then connect the power cord, sit back and enjoy.
Simple To Use (Read More)
If your TV has audio output jacks that can be set to “variable” (check your on-screen menu under “Audio” to see if you have this option), you can use your TV’s remote to control the 430HSD's sound. If not, use our supplied remote control. Our auto-on/auto-off circuit will turn the unit on about one second after you turn on your TV. Approximately three minutes after you turn off the TV, the ZVOX will go into “idle” mode. Volume, mute, PhaseCue (virtual surround), subwoofer level and treble are all controlled via our credit-card-sized remote. It couldn’t be simpler.
Virtual Surround Sound (Read More)
The 430HSD uses ZVOX’s proprietary PhaseCue virtual surround system to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. With music, PhaseCue creates a very wide soundstage – it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other. When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelope you – putting you in the middle of the action. While no virtual surround system – including ours – will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 430HSD does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine says our PhaseCue system “mixes different combinations of the left- and right-channel signals in and out of phase and sends them to the various drivers to create an impressive spread of sound, far larger than the box itself…remarkably ingenious.”
No Skimping On Speaker Quality (Read More)
Most audio systems in our price category use very cheap speakers in plastic cabinets. But at ZVOX we’re “old school” about things like this. We use nothing but high quality speaker drivers, carefully designed by ZVOX engineers and manufactured to our specification. The 430HSD uses specially treated long-excursion main drivers. All speaker magnets are powerful Neodymium models that are magnetically shielded. The cabinet is MDF (medium density fiberboard), the same material uses in most high-end loudspeakers.
Editorial Accolades (Read More)
In the past three years, we know of no other audio systems that have received as many rave reviews as ZVOX. Here’s a short list of review excerpts for ZVOX single-cabinet surround sound systems:
“Superior to most we've tested." - CNET
"Inspires sincere gadget lust." - PC World
"Rich, balanced and clear." - Boston Globe
"An audiophile quality system." - Stereophile
"An awesome system." - Sound & Vision
"Better than some home theaters." - Chicago Tribune
"Remarkable — we're amazed." - Maximum PC
"The best I've heard." - MSNBC
"Great sound." - About.com
Technical Details (Read More)
- Dimensions; 30.4”w x 5”d x 5.7”h (without the plastic feet, which are removable)
- Weight: Without external power supply: 13 pounds. With external power supply: 14 pounds. With box and packing: 17 pounds.
- Amplifier: The 430HSD uses a 60 watt amplifier.
- Inputs: One analog audio output: dual RCA jack inputs. Two digital audio outputs: one optical digital and one coaxial digital
- Front panel mini jack input for connection of iPod or other portable device.
- Frequency range: 45 Hz – 20 kHz.
- Virtual surround sound: The 430HSD uses ZVOX’s proprietary PhaseCue virtual surround sound system. PhaseCue, as its name implies, manipulates the phase of the separate channels to “fool the ear” into believing that sound is coming from a variety of sources throughout the room. The benefits of PhaseCue vary greatly based on program material. Live music and well-recorded modern movie soundtracks will deliver rich, three-dimensional sound – pulling the sound out from the speakers and into the room, literally surrounding the listener. Unlike many digital virtual surround systems, PhaseCue does not create any “digital weirdness” – rain the sounds like white noise, female singers that sound like they’re standing in a giant tin can. Note: All virtual surround systems – including the PhaseCue system – are limited in their effects when compared to a good 5.1 system. And sitcoms, news broadcasts and soundtracks from older movies often have very little in the way of three-dimensional sound. That being said, PhaseCue is capable of generating a wonderful and engaging virtual surround experience.
- The 430HSD is bi-amplified, using a specially designed amplifier that includes electronic contouring for superb frequency response.
- The 430HSD’s 4” subwoofer with flared port provides accurate low bass reproduction.
- The 430HSD’s three 3.25" main speaker drivers use ferrofluid and neodymium magnets to create remarkably loud, remarkably clear sound.
- The system is magnetically shielded so it can be used near a TV or monitor.
- Unlike most systems in its price range, the 430HSD uses an MDF (medium density fiberboard) wood cabinet - instead of plastic. MDF is the preferred construction material for high-performance speaker systems.
- The 430HSD uses the ZVOX Infinite Compliance system - which connects the outer two main speakers with an acoustic tube. This system helps create big sound from a small cabinet.
- A subwoofer output jack on the rear allows owners to connect a separate powered subwoofer (optional).
- Auto-on/auto-off circuit senses sound from source (TV, iPod, PC) and turns on the 430HSD two seconds later. Approximately three minutes after it has received no signal, it automatically shuts the unit off.
- Simple, single-cord connecting system uses dual RCA jacks or single optical or coaxial digital jacks on rear panel.
- A 2-meter analog RCA-RCA connecting cord is included.
- The ZVOX 430HSD is backed by a one year limited parts and labor warranty. For services issues, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's In The Box? (Read More)
- One stereo RCA to stereo RCA connecting cable
- One remote control with power on/off, volume up/down, "mute", phasecue up/down, subwoofer up/down and treble up/down
- Power cord with external energy-star power "brick"
- One-sheet Instruction manual
The ZVOX 30-Day Home Audition
Every ZVOX purchase is backed by our 30-day money-back guarantee. Try the system in your home — with your movies and music. If you don't love it, return it.
Write an online review and share your thoughts!