Only about the size of a DVD player, the SoundBase 220 system can fill your room with rich, satisfying 3D sound -- including thumping bass response -- with no external speakers, subwoofers or speaker wires! The 220's sound quality is excellent because we use high performance speakers and amplifiers. And unlike any other sound bar in its price category, the SoundBase 220 uses a wood (MDF) cabinet -- not plastic. Our exclusive PhaseCue technology creates three-dimensional surround sound without external speakers and wires.
You can fit the 220 on a shelf below the TV or, depending on the size of your TV, you can put it under your TV set. Hookup is super-simple -- just one connecting wire and a one-page owner's manual. You can even teach the ZVOX 220 to respond to your TV or cable box remote control!
If you want great TV sound without the complexity...without the mess....and without the high price, the SoundBase 220 is the right choice for you.
- World's Smallest Home Theater System
- Surround Sound Without Multiple Speakers & Wires
- No External Subwoofer - Everything's Built-In
- Super-Clear Vocals
- "Loud Commercial Control" Feature
- Front-Panel iPod®Portable Connection
- Works With Your TV or Cable Box Remote
A ZVOX Audio V-Series system accepts analog audio or PCM digital audio. An analog audio output on a TV works in all cases (if available). In order to use digital audio, the TV or each of its digital program sources should be configured to PCM digital audio format. Don't hesitate to contact ZVOX Audio regarding the best method for connecting a V-Series system to your TV. Please note your TV's brand and model number. Call us toll free: (866) FOR-ZVOX (866) 367-9869 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
More Detail for the Detail-Minded
PhaseCue® Virtual Surround Sound. The 220 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music.. While no virtual surround system - including ours - will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 220 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue processing "remarkably ingenious."
Incredibly Clear Voices. Our Dialog Emphasis feature uses hearing aid technology to make voices unbelievably clear. It's amazing.
Tame Loud Commercials. Tired of commercials that blast you out of your chair? Our Output Leveling feature reacts instantly and turns them down to a lower level. You'll love it.
Disappearing Display. The 220 features a four-digit display located behind the speaker grille that shows the current setting for volume, bass, treble and PhaseCue® (virtual surround) - and also shows when you have engaged the Mute, Output Leveling (OL) or Dialog Emphasis (DE) features. A few seconds after you stop using your remote (or front panel) controls, the display disappears completely.
Multiple Inputs...including front-panel connection for iPod® and other portable devices. The 220 has two analog audio inputs, one optical (Toslink) digital input, one coaxial digital input - plus a front panel 3.5mm analog stereo input for convenient connection of your iPod or other portable audio device. Any specific input can be selected using either the remote control or the slim-line module below the speaker grille.
Uses Your Remote Control. The SoundBase system can be programmed to respond to your remote control. The illuminated display walks you through a less-than-a-minute programming cycle. Then your TV remote...or cable box remote...or satellite receiver remote...or ANY remote...can control volume, mute and power functions of the ZVOX system.
Just Plain Great Sound. The most important feature for any home theater system is high quality sound. The 220 uses premium quality speakers and amplifiers and was designed by our team of "New England Sound" speaker designers. We think you will be amazed at just how good such a small system can sound.
- Dimensions: 17"W x 12.5"D x 3.5"H
- Weight: 11 pounds. With box and packing: 13 pounds.
- Amplifier: 35 watts with digital power supply.
- Rear inputs: (2) analog stereo inputs, (1) optical (Toslink) digital input, (1) coaxial digital input.
- Front input: (1) 3.5mm stereo front panel input.
- Frequency range: 55 Hz - 20 kHz.
- Virtual surround sound: The 220 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue virtual surround sound processing. PhaseCue, as its name implies, manipulates the phase of the separate channels to "fool the ear" into believing that sound is coming from a variety of sources throughout the room. The benefits of PhaseCue vary greatly based on program material. Live music and well-recorded modern movie soundtracks will deliver rich, three-dimensional sound - pulling the sound out from the speakers and into the room, literally surrounding the listener. Note: All virtual surround systems - including the PhaseCue system - are limited in their effects when compared to a good 5.1 system. And sitcoms, news broadcasts and soundtracks from older movies often have very little in the way of three-dimensional sound. That being said, PhaseCue is capable of generating a wonderful and engaging virtual surround experience.
- The 220 is bi-amplified, using a specially designed amplifier that includes electronic contouring for superb frequency response.
- The 220's 5.25" subwoofer uses a high-mass long-throw design in a ported enclosure.
- The 220's three 2" main speaker drivers use a long-throw design to create remarkably wide range, accurate sound.
- Unlike most systems in its category, the 220 uses an MDF (medium density fiberboard) wood cabinet - instead of molded plastic. MDF is the preferred construction material for high-performance speaker systems.
- Works with 100-240 volt power systems.
- The ZVOX 220 is backed by a one year limited parts and labor warranty.
What's In The Box?
- One 1-meter stereo 3.5mm mini-jack to mini-jack connecting cord
- One 2-meter toslink (optical digital) connecting cable
- One remote control with power on/off, volume up/down, mute, PhaseCue (three level settings), bass up/down and treble up/down, input selection, Output Leveling (OL), Dialog Emphasis (DE).
- Power adapter and cord
- One-sheet safety instructions and operations manual, fast setup sheet and remote control programming instruction sheet.
"I like a lot of gadgets and gear, but it's rare that I fall in love. When I connected the Zvox Z-Base 220 speaker cabinet to my bedroom TV, it was love at first sound. It's that good.... the Z-Base 220 sounds fantastic." -CNET
"If you want to enhance your home theater's sound, the ZVox Z-Base 220 is an inexpensive way to add plenty of power without any hassle." -PC Magazine
Average Customer Rating: (1 Review)
Reviewer: A viewer from USA
I recently purchased a 60" Samsung plasma tv and ordered the 220's before I took delivery of my new tv after reading many comments about how poor the tv speakers sound. I received the tv and after listening to its speakers,I was suprised that they sounded better than I thought they would.I thought maybe I didn't really need the 220's after all.That opinion changed the next day when I recieved the Soundbase 220's and had something to compare to the tv speakers. These speakers sound fantastic with excellent base and the ability to boost the vocals. Couldn't be happier, thanks ZVOX
The Z-Base 220 is only 17" wide by 12.5" deep by 3.5" high -- about the size of a DVD player. Everything is inside this compact cabinet - speakers, amplifier, virtual surround circuitry and powered subwoofer.
The 220 requires only one connecting cord -- both analog and digital signal connections are supported.. Connect the one cord and you're done. You can place the 220 directly beneath most 19" - 27" flat panel TVs* and some 32" TVs -- or on a shelf beneath the TV. (*TV base should not exceed 16" in width or 13" in depth. TV should not exceed 40 pounds in weight. Safety instructions in Z-Base 220 Operating Instructions and in TV's Operating Instructions should be closely examined and followed.)
Simple To Use
In about one minute you can follow a simple routine that will "teach" the ZVOX 220 to respond to the commands of your TV or cable/satellite remote control. So you can control volume, mute, input and power with your remote, not ours. When you've finished the routine, turning on your TV will automatically turn on the ZVOX system. About three minutes after you turn off your TV, the ZVOX system will automatically go into standby mode.
Virtual Surround Sound
The 220 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. With music, PhaseCue creates a very wide soundstage - it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other. When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelope you - putting you in the middle of the action. While no virtual surround system - including ours - will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 220 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue system "remarkably ingenious."
No Skimping On Speaker Quality
Most audio systems in our price category use very cheap speakers in plastic cabinets. But at ZVOX we're "old school" about things like this. We use nothing but high quality speaker drivers, carefully designed by ZVOX engineers and manufactured to our specification. The 220 uses specially treated long-excursion main drivers. The cabinet is MDF (medium density fiberboard), the same material used in most high-end loudspeakers.
Here's what the critics say about ZVOX sound systems:
- "An audiophile quality system." - Stereophile
- "An awesome system...remarkably ingenious." - Sound + Vision
- "Creates a sonic dance." - The New York Times
- "Bigger audio dynamite." - The Wall Street Journal
- "Best Buy." - Consumers Digest
- "Best audio product of the year." - CNET
- "Knockout sound." - MSNBC
- "A single box powerhouse." - Men's Journal
- "Home theater product of the year." - About.com
- "Impressive sound without the clutter." - TV Guide