Our SoundBase 420 sound bar delivers wonderful, room-filling home theater sound -- without a bunch of boxes, lots of wires and a big price tag. Only 3.5" high, 27 9/16" wide and 14.5" deep, the 420 fits under your TV. There are no external speakers, subwoofers or speaker wires! Most people won't notice it until you turn it on.
The 420's sound quality is excellent because we use high performance speakers and amplifiers. And unlike any other sound bar in its price category, the SoundBase 420 uses a wood (MDF) cabinet -- not plastic. Our PhaseCue II virtual surround system create 3D sound with movies or music. And hookup is super-simple -- just one connecting wire and a one-page owner's manual. You can even teach the ZVOX 420 to respond to your TV or cable box remote control!
High quality surround sound doesn't have to be complicated, messy and expensive. The SoundBase 420 is the right choice for most people looking for a home theater or TV sound system.
- Sound Bar Home Theater Fits Under Your TV
- Perfect For Most TVs 32" - 50"
- Surround Sound Without Multiple Speakers & Wires
- No External Subwoofer - Everything's Built-In
- Super-Clear Vocals
- "Loud Commercial Control" Technology
- Front-Panel iPod®/Portable Connection
- Works With Your Remote
More Detail for the Detail-Minded
Dialogue up, commercials down. If you can't hear the actors, it's nearly impossible to follow the story. That's why ZVOX created a dialogue enhancement feature that gives voices new clarity and prominence. What's more, ZVOX knows how sponsors love to blast us out of our seats during commercial breaks. Thanks to the output leveling feature, the V420 keeps commercials on a short leash so you can just relax.
Big sound from a small console. This one-piece system houses five full-range speakers, a high-output woofer, and built-in amplification — there's no need to use a separate receiver or run wires to any external speakers. Plus, the V420 is designed to serve as a convenient base for flat-panel TVs with screen sizes up to 50". Even older TVs sit perfectly atop this sturdy wooden cabinet that can support up to 70 lbs. Place the Z-Base directly underneath your TV and you won't have to worry about making extra room for it on your entertainment stand.
Built with convenience in mind. The Z-Base V420 is a great place to plug in your iPod® or portable player for terrific sound. It has a minijack input on the front panel for easy access. The display on the V420 lights up from behind the front cloth grille then disappears when not in use. And the V420 learns the commands of your TV remote, giving you one less clicker to keep track of. Signal-sensing circuitry powers the system on and off along with your TV.
Crystal-Clear Vocals. Our Dialog Emphasis feature uses hearing aid technology to make voices unbelievably clear. It's amazing.
Tame Loud Commercials. Tired of commercials that blast you out of your chair? Our Output Leveling feature reacts instantly and turns them down to a lower level. You'll love it.
PhaseCue® II Virtual Surround Sound. The 420 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music.. While no virtual surround system - including ours - will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 420 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue processing "remarkably ingenious."
A Note About Hookup Compatibility and Dolby Decoding. The ZVOX 420 system does not include a Dolby Digital decoder. This affects how it connects to your TV. ZVOX Audio can advise you on how it would connect to your TV if you email us at email@example.com or call 866-367-9869. Let us know your TV brand and model number.
Disappearing Display. The 420 features a four-digit display located behind the speaker grille that shows the current setting for volume, bass, treble and PhaseCue II® (virtual surround) - and also shows when you have engaged the Mute, Output Leveling (OL) or Dialog Emphasis (DE) features. A few seconds after you stop using your remote (or front panel) controls, the display disappears completely.
Uses Your Remote Control. The new SoundBase system can be programmed to respond to your remote control. The illuminated display walks you through a less-than-a-minute programming cycle. Then your TV remote...or cable box remote...or satellite receiver remote...or ANY remote...can control volume, mute and power functions of the ZVOX system.
Multiple Inputs...including front-panel connection for iPod® and other portable devices. The 420 has two analog audio inputs, one optical (Toslink) digital input, one coaxial digital input - plus a front panel 3.5mm analog stereo input for convenient connection of your iPod or other portable audio device. Any specific input can be selected using either the remote control or the slim-line module below the speaker grille.
Just Plain Great Sound. The most important feature for any home theater system is high quality sound. The 420 uses premium quality speakers and amplifiers and was designed by our team of "New England Sound" speaker designers. We think you will be amazed at just how good such a small system can sound.
- Dimensions: 27.6"W x 14.5"D x 3.5"H
- Weight: 14 pounds. With box and packing: 17 pounds.
- Amplifier: 45 watts with digital power supply
- Rear inputs: (2) analog stereo inputs, (1) optical (Toslink) digital input, (1) coaxial digital input.
- Front input: (1) 3.5mm stereo front panel input.
- Frequency range: 45 Hz - 20 kHz..
- Virtual surround sound: The 420 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround sound processing. PhaseCue II, as its name implies, manipulates the phase of the separate channels to "fool the ear" into believing that sound is coming from a variety of sources throughout the room. The benefits of PhaseCue II vary greatly based on program material. Live music and well-recorded modern movie soundtracks will deliver rich, three-dimensional sound - pulling the sound out from the speakers and into the room, literally surrounding the listener. Note: All virtual surround systems - including the PhaseCue II system - are limited in their effects when compared to a good 5.1 system. And sitcoms, news broadcasts and soundtracks from older movies often have very little in the way of three-dimensional sound. That being said, PhaseCue II is capable of generating a wonderful and engaging virtual surround experience.
- The 420 is bi-amplified, using a specially designed amplifier that includes electronic contouring for superb frequency response.
- The 420's 5.25" subwoofer uses a high-mass long-throw design in a ported enclosure.
- The 420's five 2" main speaker drivers use a long-throw design to create remarkably wide range, accurate sound.
- Unlike most systems in its category, the 420 uses an MDF (medium density fiberboard) wood cabinet - instead of molded plastic. MDF is the preferred construction material for high-performance speaker systems.
- Works only with 110-120 volt power systems.
- The ZVOX 420 is backed by a one year limited parts and labor warranty.
What's In The Box?
- One 1-meter stereo 3.5mm mini-jack to mini-jack connecting cord
- One 2-meter toslink (optical digital) connecting cable
- One remote control with power on/off, volume up/down, mute, PhaseCue II (three level settings), bass up/down and treble up/down, input selection, Output Leveling (OL), Dialog Emphasis (DE).
- Power adapter and cord
- One-sheet safety instructions and operations manual, fast setup sheet and remote control programming instruction sheet.
" If you want sound that will be excellent, and you want simplicity, and you want to spend as little as possible — go with this system or one of the other offerings from the company. You won’t be disappointed. Amazingly low price; Easy to set up; Unassuming design; Multiple inputs; Good sound with some great features that are truly useful" - Daniel Cohen, Gear Diary
" The Zvox Z-Base 420 costs significantly less than competing pedestal sound bars. Its sound is rich and powerful for the price, and a huge step up from the built-in speakers on a TV. The Dialogue Emphasis mode is a great option for boosting speech over background noise. There's also a built-in front-panel display, cleverly hidden behind the speaker grilles, which many competitors lack." - CNET
"The low-profile ZVOX 420 raises your TV height by a few inches — but improves your TV sound by a mile. This feature-laden, pedestal-shaped speaker gives you flexible connection options, including analog and digital audio inputs, for both newer and older TVs and components." - Crutchfield Home Audio
Average Customer Rating: (5 Reviews)
Reviewer: A viewer from Lake Worth, FL USA
Understanding the dialog
I bought this in Dec. 2012 because of the Dialog Emphasis feature. It is wonderful. I use it for all TV shows and movies and never have to go back with the DVR to try and understand the dialog, which is usually difficult to understand, because of all the background noise in today's movies and TV shows. I would recommend the ZVOX 420 to anyone having problems with hearing dialog.
Reviewer: A viewer from USA
I received the 420 yesterday and installed it right away. I want to thank you folks for the quick return
and expert service. I have been around for a lot of years and I can say without equivocation that this
produces the cleanest, clearest most pristine audio I've ever heard from an audio system. I've got it
hooked up to a big screen Samsung and the comparison of the two audios individually is amazing.
I will not hesitate to recommend your equipment to all!!
Reviewer: A viewer from Carolina, Puerto Rico
After hearing the Bose Soundbase and some other brands at Radio Shack,I decided to give it a try to Zvox. For the price there is nothing in the market that rivals this unit. It made an excellent base for my 50 inch led. Overall, both high/mid and low frequencies are well separated and defined. There is enough volume to fill even large rooms. Installation and set up were very easy and the surround and treble/bass options let you set your own audio preferences. I would recommend Zvox to my friends for sure!
Reviewer: A viewer from MI
Better Then The Competition
I was all set to buy a B*se when i went to the local Best Buy and asked a sales clerk if he thought that B*se was the best for dialog. The sales guy recommended ZVOX as the best for dialog and was quite enthusiastic about ZVOX. I was impressed with his recommendation
and looked up you guys on the net. After checking out the specs I was convinced and decided to buy ZVOX. ZVOX has met my
expectations and I would recommend it to anyone. I can finally make sense of the dialog on the TV programs I was having trouble with. I had already bought two soundbar systems and gave them away.
Reviewer: A viewer from Canaan, NH USA
Is a downgrade an upgrade?
I purchased the ZVOX 420 out of the desire to simplify my audio setup. I've had for the past 5 years a stereo setup with what I would consider mid-fi components- Martin Logan loudspeakers, a 200 watt solid state amp, and dedicated pre-amp/processor. For music, my setup was ideal. However, over the years I've been listening to less and less music, and have been playing more videogames and watching more movies with the Mrs. Dialogue was difficult to isolate with the speakers which could replicate music beautifully, and having all of the extra "steps" involved with using the audio system for gaming or watching movies made it discouraging to use it at all. That being said, I can say that the audio quality that the 420 model offers is EXTREMELY good for the price, and has a surprising amount of punch from its downward firing "subwoofer". The "3D" sound processing is a bit hit or miss depending on the media, but the unit provides consistently easy to hear human voices. Now, music (I play from a digital drive, lossless codec) isn't quite as good, and playing at high volumes can cause some distortion, but I've got a nice set of Shure headphones to keep myself musically entertained. Long story short- this one box makes the overall TV-related sound system easy to use and pleasing to the senses. Highly recommended if you are looking for a SIMPLE audio solution.
The Z-Base 420 is only 27.6” wide by 14.5” deep by 3.5” high. Everything is inside this compact cabinet – speakers, amplifier, virtual surround circuitry and powered subwoofer.
The 420 requires only one connecting cord -- you can use either analog or digital connection options. Connect the one cord and you're done. You can place the 420 directly beneath most 32" to 50" TVs. (* TV base should not exceed 27" in width or 13" in depth. TV should not exceed 70 pounds in weight. Safety instructions in Z-Base 420 Operating Instructions and in TV's Operating Instructions should be closely examined and followed.)
Simple To Use
In about one minute you can follow a simple routine that will "teach" the ZVOX 420 to respond to the commands of your TV or cable/satellite remote control. So you can control volume, mute, input and power with your remote, not ours. When you've finished the routine, turning on your TV will automatically turn on the ZVOX system. About three minutes after you turn off your TV, the ZVOX system will automatically go into standby mode.
Virtual Surround Sound
The 420 uses ZVOX’s proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. With music, PhaseCue II creates a very wide soundstage – it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other. When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelope you – putting you in the middle of the action. While no virtual surround system – including ours – will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 420 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue system “remarkably ingenious.”
No Skimping On Speaker Quality
Most audio systems in our price category use very cheap speakers in plastic cabinets. But at ZVOX we’re “old school” about things like this. We use nothing but high quality speaker drivers, carefully designed by ZVOX engineers and manufactured to our specification. The 420 uses specially treated long-excursion main drivers. The cabinet is MDF (medium density fiberboard), the same material uses in most high-end loudspeakers.
Here's what the critics say about ZVOX sound systems:
- "An audiophile quality system." - Stereophile
- "An awesome system...remarkably ingenious." - Sound + Vision
- "Creates a sonic dance." - The New York Times
- "Bigger audio dynamite." - The Wall Street Journal
- "Best Buy." - Consumers Digest
- "Best audio product of the year." - CNET
- "Knockout sound." - MSNBC
- "A single box powerhouse." - Men's Journal
- "Home theater product of the year." - About.com
- "Impressive sound without the clutter." - TV Guide