Only 3.5" high, the ZVOX SoundBase 555 home theater system can be placed beneath your flat-panel TV so you can have surround sound without adding a lot of clutter to your room. It requires no external speakers, subwoofer or speaker wires. The 555 reproduces TV shows, music and movie soundtracks with lifelike accuracy, including crystal-clear vocals and thunderous bass. And the ZVOX PhaseCue virtual surround system delivers remarkable three-dimensional sound. The entire sound bar system, including speakers, amplifier, virtual surround technology and powered subwoofer, fits into the super-slim cabinet. With only one connecting cord and a one-page owner's manual, it is truly "plug and play." The cabinet is robustly constructed using fully-braced MDF (medium density fiberboard), not molded plastic. Beautiful hand-lacquered high-gloss ebony end panels create a stylish look.
- Improved Sound
- Super-Clear Vocals
- "Commercial Taming" Technology
- Multiple Inputs Including Front-Panel iPod®/Portable Plug
- Works With Your Remote!
More Detail for the Detail-Minded
Great Sound. The most important feature for any home theater system is high quality sound. The 555 uses a new amplifier design with extremely accurate frequency response and a warm, natural sound and surprisingly powerful bass. It uses a 5.25" powered subwoofer in a spacious cabinet (equal in interior volume to a 14" x 14" x 14" subwoofer box). The result is accurate, window-rattling bass down to 34Hz. No other all-in-one home theater system even comes close.
PhaseCue® II Virtual Surround Sound. The 555 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. With music, PhaseCue II creates a very wide soundstage - it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other. When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelop you, putting you in the middle of the action. While no virtual surround system - including ours - will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 555 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue processing "remarkably ingenious."
Green Design. The 555 uses a highly-efficient Class D digital amplifier. Even playing at quite loud volumes, it usually uses less than 10 watts of total power. And standby power usage tends to hover around 0.1 watts - making it one of the "greenest" audio systems ever made.
Setting A New Standard For Vocal Clarity. ZVOX systems are known for their remarkable vocal clarity. The 555 adds a stunning new feature: AccuVoice. When you push the "DE" button on the remote control you engage a circuit that mimics the functions of a hearing aid. The frequencies used by human voices are dynamically emphasized, while other frequencies are minimized. We don't know of any other speaker system that provides such an easy-to-use and effective method for improving the intelligibility of television dialog.
Uses Your Remote Control. The new SoundBase system can be programmed to respond to your remote control. The illuminated display walks you through a less-than-a-minute programming cycle. Then your TV remote...or cable box remote...or satellite receiver remote...or ANY remote...can control volume, mute, and power functions of the ZVOX system.The 555 uses a highly advanced processor to digitally tailor the sound for excellent frequency response. The result is a very smooth, very accurate sound. This SoundBase system doesn't sound like a "sound bar," it sounds like an audiophile quality speaker system.
Taming Commercials That Are Too Loud. If you've ever been blasted out of your chair by a too-loud commercial - or by a cable channel that's twice as loud as another channel - you'll love the new Output Leveling (OL) feature on the ZVOX 570. Just push the OL button and a sophisticated processor takes over, making soft sounds louder and loud sounds softer, so there are fewer jarring moments when switching channels or when commercials come on. This system also helps by boosting the audio levels from a DVD or Blu Ray player that is not loud enough.
Disappearing Display. The 555 features a four-digit display located behind the speaker grille that shows the current setting for volume, bass, treble and PhaseCue II® (virtual surround) - and also shows when you have engaged the Mute, Output Leveling (OL) or Dialog Emphasis (DE) features. A few seconds after you stop using your remote (or front panel) controls, the display disappears completely.
Multiple Inputs, front-panel connection for iPod® and other devices, Dolby Digital decoder. The 555 has two analog audio inputs, one optical (Toslink) digital input, one coaxial digital input - plus a front panel 3.5mm analog stereo input for convenient connection of your iPod or other portable audio device. Any specific input can be selected using either the remote control or the slim-line module below the speaker grille. The two digital inputs work with a built-in Dolby Digital decoder, which can improve virtual surround performance and allow for simplified connections to a wide variety of TVs, cable boxes and disc players.
Wood (MDF) Cabinet With Hand-Lacquered Side Panels. The 555 features a hand-built cabinet of heavy MDF with beautiful hand-lacquered high-gloss end panels. Its low-profile design blends perfectly with flat-panel TVs. Most people don’t even notice the ZVOX 555...until they hear it.
- Dimensions: 28 "W x 14 1/2"D x 3 3/8 "H
- Weight: 17 pounds. With box and packing: 21 pounds.
- Amplifier: The 555 uses a high-efficiency 65 watt Class D digital amplifier.
- Rear inputs: (2) analog stereo inputs, (1) optical (Toslink) digital input, (1) coaxial digital input.
- Front input: (1) 3.5mm stereo front panel input.
- Frequency range: 45 Hz - 20 kHz.
- Virtual surround sound: The 555 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround sound processing. PhaseCue II, as its name implies, manipulates the phase of the separate channels to "fool the ear" into believing that sound is coming from a variety of sources throughout the room. The benefits of PhaseCue II vary greatly based on program material. Live music and well-recorded modern movie soundtracks will deliver rich, three-dimensional sound – pulling the sound out from the speakers and into the room, literally surrounding the listener. Note: All virtual surround systems – including the PhaseCue II system – are limited in their effects when compared to a good 5.1 system. And sitcoms, news broadcasts and soundtracks from older movies often have very little in the way of three-dimensional sound. That being said, PhaseCue II is capable of generating a wonderful and engaging virtual surround experience.
- The 555 is bi-amplified, using a specially designed amplifier that includes electronic contouring for superb frequency response.
- The 555's 5.25" subwoofer uses a high-mass long-throw design in a ported enclosure.
- The 555's five 2" main speaker drivers use a long-throw design to create remarkably wide range, accurate sound.
- Unlike most systems in its category, the 555 uses an MDF (medium density fiberboard) wood cabinet - instead of molded plastic. MDF is the preferred construction material for high-performance speaker systems.
- A 2-meter RCA-RCA analog stereo connecting cord is included.
- Works only with 110-120 volt power systems.
- The ZVOX 555 is backed by a one year limited parts and labor warranty.
What's In The Box?
- One stereo RCA to stereo RCA connecting cable
- If purchased directly from us, we will include a digital optical cable
- One remote control with power on/off, volume up/down, mute, PhaseCue II (three level settings), bass up/down and treble up/down, input selection, Output Leveling (OL), Dialog Emphasis (DE).
- Power cord
- One-sheet safety instructions and operations manual, fast setup sheet and remote control programming instruction sheet.
You feed your audio into the SoundBase, and it gives you rich sound that makes your flat panel TV's speakers go crying home to mama. - Clint DeBoer, Chief Guru at Audiogurus
Not everyone can be expected to have a big home theater system. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of solid choices out there. HTIB often give inferior sound and have a gaggle of wires to run. The Zbase 555 offers many pluses: The system is very easy to set up, looks stylish, has multiple in puts for both digital and analog, has a very effective dialog enhancement, provides spacious sound for both movies and music. It makes a great, stable base for your new TV. The supplied remote is functional, easy to use and the basic commands can be transferred to your current remote. You have the option to add a sub, though the 555 has plenty of punch on its own merit. It has built in digital amplification and sounds light years better than the built in TV speakers. It can be used as a music system in the home or office and provides a good "bang for the buck" value.
The minuses are few. It will not replace a decent home theater 5.1 sound system. Stereo separation and surround effects require you to sit more directly in front of the unit then a traditional speaker system. Still, its compact size and great sound makes this a good choice for those that don't want to mess with a complicated home theater setup or have limited space. It's simple to setup and use, inexpensive and sounds great. What's not to like? - Home Theater & High Fidelity
Average Customer Rating: (2 Reviews)
Reviewer: A viewer from INDEPENDENCE, KY USA
We received our Model 555 yesterday and installed it today to our Sony Bravia 46". The installation was just as straight forward and simple as Zvox promised. The sound quality is a substantial improvement over the build-in speakers (which weren't terrible). It's an outstanding product. I also want to complement Zvox on the on-line helpfulness of their staff. Before purchasing the 555 I emailed them with several questions and they were quick to respond to all my questions. Zvox is to be congratulated on an excellent product and a fine staff.
Reviewer: A viewer from IN
I had difficulty finding a system that would fit under my TV in the cabinet, as most bars were much to long. The 555 fits great. My surprise has been the sound quality, as I was just hoping for an improvement over the tv speakers. The base, amplification, clarity, and sub are excellent. It isn't my stand alone 5 speaker/sub in my projection room, but it is more than what I need for my cabinet TV.
The Z-Base 555 is only 28 ” wide by 14.5” deep by 3 3/8” high. Everything is inside this compact cabinet – speakers, amplifier, virtual surround circuitry and powered subwoofer.
The 555 requires only one connecting cord -- you can use either analog or digital connection options. Connect the one cord and you're done. You can place the 555 directly beneath most 26" - 50" flat panel TVs*, or on a shelf beneath the TV. (* TV base should not exceed 27" in width or 13" in depth. TV should not exceed 125 pounds in weight. Safety instructions in Z-Base 555 Operating Instructions and in TV's Operating Instructions should be closely examined and followed.)
Simple To Use
In about one minute you can follow a simple routine that will "teach" the ZVOX 555 to respond to the commands of your TV or cable/satellite remote control. So you can adjust control volume, mute, input and power with your remote, not ours. When you've finished the routine, turning on your TV will automatically turn on the ZVOX system. About three minutes after you turn off your TV, the ZVOX system will automatically go into standby mode.
Virtual Surround Sound
The 555 uses ZVOX’s proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. With music, PhaseCue II creates a very wide soundstage – it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other. When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelope you – putting you in the middle of the action. While no virtual surround system – including ours – will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 555 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue system “remarkably ingenious.”
No Skimping On Speaker Quality
Most audio systems in our price category use very cheap speakers in plastic cabinets. But at ZVOX we’re “old school” about things like this. We use nothing but high quality speaker drivers, carefully designed by ZVOX engineers and manufactured to our specification. The 555 uses specially treated long-excursion main drivers. The cabinet is MDF (medium density fiberboard), the same material uses in most high-end loudspeakers.
Here's what the critics say about ZVOX sound systems:
- "An audiophile quality system." - Stereophile
- "An awesome system...remarkably ingenious." - Sound + Vision
- "Creates a sonic dance." - The New York Times
- "Bigger audio dynamite." - The Wall Street Journal
- "Best Buy." - Consumers Digest
- "Best audio product of the year." - CNET
- "Knockout sound." - MSNBC
- "A single box powerhouse." - Men's Journal
- "Home theater product of the year." - About.com
- "Impressive sound without the clutter." - TV Guide