Now you can get room-filling home theater sound - without a room full of speakers and wires. The ZVOX SoundBase 580 is a complete surround sound system - including dual powered subwoofers - all in one cabinet. Just place the 580 on a piece of furniture, place your flat-panel TV on top of the ZVOX system, connect one wire...you've installed a high-performance home theater system in under 10 minutes.
The sound quality of the ZVOX 580 is comparable to that of much more expensive multi-speaker systems. It includes five high-performance speakers and dual 6.5" powered subwoofers for window-rattling bass. The ZVOX PhaseCue II virtual surround sound system creates three-dimensional sound without the need for multiple speakers throughout the room. Movies come to life with vibrant, realistic, high-impact sound. Music sounds accurate and natural. And vocals on TV shows come through with incredible clarity.
The 580 uses a highly advanced processor to digitally tailor the sound for excellent frequency response. The result is a very smooth, very accurate sound. This SoundBase system doesn't sound like a "sound bar," it sounds like an audiophile quality speaker system.
- Improved Sound
- Green Design
- Super-Clear Vocals
- "Commercial Taming" Technology
- Multiple Inputs Including Front-Panel iPod®/Portable Plug
- Works With Your Remote
More Details for the Detail-Minded
Great Sound. The most important feature for any home theater system is high quality sound. The 580 uses a new amplifier design with extremely accurate frequency response and a warm, natural sound and surprisingly powerful bass. It uses dual 6.5" powered subwoofers in a spacious cabinet (equal in interior volume to a 14" x 14" x 14" subwoofer box). The result is accurate, window-rattling bass down to 34Hz. No other all-in-one home theater system even comes close.
PhaseCue® II Virtual Surround Sound. The 580 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. With music, PhaseCue II creates a very wide soundstage - it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other. When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelop you - putting you in the middle of the action. While no virtual surround system - including ours - will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 580 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue system "remarkably ingenious."
Green Design. The 580 uses a highly-efficient Class D digital amplifier. Even playing at quite loud volumes, it usually uses less than 10 watts of total power. And standby power usage tends to hover around 0.1 watts - making it one of the "greenest" audio systems ever made.
Setting A New Standard For Vocal Clarity. ZVOX systems are known for their remarkable vocal clarity. The 580 adds a stunning new feature: Dialog Emphasis (DE). When you push the "DE" button on the remote control you engage a circuit that mimics the functions of a hearing aid. The frequencies used by human voices are emphasized and compressed, while other frequencies are minimized. We don't know of any other speaker system that provides such an easy-to-use and effective method for improving the intelligibility of television dialog.
Uses Your Remote Control. The new SoundBase system can be programmed to respond to your remote control. The illuminated display walks you through a less-than-a-minute programming cycle. Then your TV remote...or cable box remote...or satellite receiver remote...or ANY remote...can control volume, mute, and power functions of the ZVOX system.
Taming Commercials That Are Too Loud. If you've ever been blasted out of your chair by a too-loud commercial - or by a cable channel that's twice as loud as another channel - you'll love the new Output Leveling (OL) feature on the ZVOX 580. Just push the OL button and a sophisticated compression processor takes over, making soft sounds louder and loud sounds softer, so there are fewer jarring moments when switching channels or when commercials come on. This system also helps by boosting the audio levels from a DVD or Blu Ray player that is not loud enough.
Disappearing Display. The 580 features a four-digit display located behind the speaker grille that shows the current setting for volume, bass, treble and PhaseCue II® (virtual surround) - and also shows when you have engaged the Mute, Output Leveling (OL) or Dialog Emphasis (DE) features. A few seconds after you stop using your remote (or front panel) controls, the display disappears completely.
Multiple Inputs, front-panel connection for iPod® and other devices, Dolby Digital decoder. The 580 has two analog audio inputs, one optical (Toslink) digital input, one coaxial digital input - plus a front panel 3.5mm analog stereo input for convenient connection of your iPod or other portable audio device. Any specific input can be selected using either the remote control or the slim-line module below the speaker grille. The two digital inputs work with a built-in Dolby Digital decoder, which can improve virtual surround performance and allow for simplified connections to a wide variety of TVs, cable boxes and disc players.
Wood (MDF) Cabinet With Hand-Lacquered Side Panels. The 580 features a hand-built cabinet of MDF (medium density fiberboard) with beautiful hand-lacquered high-gloss end panels. Its low-profile design blends perfectly with flat-panel TVs. Most people don't even notice the ZVOX 580...until they hear it.
- Dimensions: 36"W x 16.5"D x 5"H
- Weight: 34.5 pounds. With box and packing: 39 pounds.
- Amplifier: The 580 uses a high-efficiency 120 watt Class D digital amplifier.
- Rear inputs: (2) analog stereo inputs, (1) digital (Toslink) optical input, (1) coaxial digital input.
- Front input: (1) 3.5mm stereo front panel input.
- Frequency range: 34 Hz – 20 kHz.
- Virtual surround sound: The 580 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround sound processing. PhaseCue II, as its name implies, manipulates the phase of the separate channels to "fool the ear" into believing that sound is coming from a variety of sources throughout the room. The benefits of PhaseCue II vary greatly based on program material. Live music and well-recorded modern movie soundtracks will deliver rich, three-dimensional sound - pulling the sound out from the speakers and into the room, literally surrounding the listener. Note: All virtual surround systems- including the PhaseCue II system - are limited in their effects when compared to a good 5.1 system. And sitcoms, news broadcasts and soundtracks from older movies often have very little in the way of three-dimensional sound. That being said, PhaseCue II is capable of generating a wonderful and engaging virtual surround experience.
- The 580 is bi-amplified, using a specially designed amplifier that includes electronic contouring for superb frequency response.
- The 580 uses dual 6.5" subwoofers with a high-mass long-throw design in a ported enclosure.
- The 580's five 3.25" main speaker drivers use a long-throw design to create remarkably wide range, accurate sound.
- Unlike most systems in its category, the 580 uses an MDF (medium density fiberboard) wood cabinet - instead of molded plastic. MDF is the preferred construction material for high-performance speaker systems.
- A 2-meter RCA-RCA analog stereo connecting cord is included.
- Works only with 110-120 volt power systems.
- The ZVOX 580 is backed by a one year limited parts and labor warranty.
What's In The Box?
- One stereo RCA to stereo RCA connecting cable
- If purchased directly from us, we will include a digital optical cable
- One remote control with power on/off, volume up/down, mute, PhaseCue II (three level settings), bass up/down and treble up/down, input selection, Output Leveling (OL), Dialog Emphasis (DE).
- Power cord
- One-sheet safety instructions and operations manual, fast setup sheet and remote control programming instruction sheet.
ZVOX 580 names "Best Buy" by Consumer Reports
"It's rare to find these combinations of great quality, design, and price in the surround system category.- BooredAtWork
"The ZVOX rocks... shockingly good." - hometheaterreview.com
"For a single-box system, this thing really packs a wallop!" - Home Theater Magazine
"The overall sound from the Zvox is quite impressive... bass was shockingly good." - Downunderaudio.com
Average Customer Rating: (2 Reviews)
Reviewer: A viewer from Tucson, AZ
Enjoying my ZVOX!
I found ZVOX after visiting Costco where I saw a Bose system that allowed one to place their TV on the sound bar rather than placing the sound bar in front of the TV. I loved this idea because my entertainment center would not allow placement of a typical sound bar...
I have two systems from Bose and frankly I'm not very happy with either one (all highs and lows, must be Bose). So I Googled "pedestal sound bars" and found a review on cnet. With the guarantee I decided to give it a try. And boy am I glad I did! VERY happy with the dialogue from movies that was difficult for me to hear before. The set-up was easy too. Even though my home is pre-wired for surround sound, I just didn't want to hassle with putting a system together...
I'm more than satisfied with my new ZVOX set-up and have already recommended it to others.
The Z-Base 580 is only 36" wide by 16.5" deep by 5" high. Everything is inside this compact cabinet - speakers, amplifier, virtual surround circuitry and powered subwoofer.
The 580 requires only one connecting cord -- you can use either analog or digital connection options. Connect the one cord and you're done. You can place the 580 directly beneath most 37" - 72" flat panel TVs*, or on a shelf beneath the TV. (* TV base should not exceed 35" in width or 15.5" in depth. TV should not exceed 165 pounds in weight. Safety instructions in Z-Base 580 Operating Instructions and in TV's Operating Instructions should be closely examined and followed.)
Simple To Use
In about one minute you can follow a simple routine that will "teach" the ZVOX 580 to respond to the commands of your TV or cable/satellite remote control. So you can adjust control volume, mute, input and power with your remote, not ours. When you've finished the routine, turning on your TV will automatically turn on the ZVOX system. About three minutes after you turn off your TV, the ZVOX system will automatically go into standby mode.
Virtual Surround Sound
The 580 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. With music, PhaseCue II creates a very wide soundstage - it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other. When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelope you - putting you in the middle of the action. While no virtual surround system - including ours - will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 580 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue system "remarkably ingenious."
No Skimping On Speaker Quality
Most audio systems in our price category use very cheap speakers in plastic cabinets. But at ZVOX we're "old school" about things like this. We use nothing but high quality speaker drivers, carefully designed by ZVOX engineers and manufactured to our specification. The 580 uses specially treated long-excursion main drivers. The cabinet is MDF (medium density fiberboard), the same material uses in most high-end loudspeakers.
Here's what the critics say about ZVOX sound systems:
- "An audiophile quality system." - Stereophile
- "An awesome system...remarkably ingenious." - Sound + Vision
- "Creates a sonic dance." - The New York Times
- "Bigger audio dynamite." - The Wall Street Journal
- "Best Buy." - Consumers Digest
- "Best audio product of the year." - CNET
- "Knockout sound." - MSNBC
- "A single box powerhouse." - Men's Journal
- "Home theater product of the year." - About.com
- "Impressive sound without the clutter." - TV Guide