The ZVOX SoundBase® 770 is a revolutionary surround sound system design. It produces rich, room-filling home theater sound without all the clutter of a traditional surround sound system.
The 770 is 42” wide so it can work with even very large TVs. Only 3.5” high, it contains five full range speakers (including three center speakers). But it virtually disappears when placed under your TV. Connection is simple – only one wire! But the sound is fantastic, with super-clear vocals and powerful bass from three built-in powered subwoofers. The ZVOX PhaseCue® virtual surround system creates theater-like three-dimensional sound without the need for speakers throughout the room. Want to listen to music? Stream audio from your phone or tablet via aptX Bluetooth wireless connectivity. Having trouble hearing the voices on a show? Push the AccuVoice® button on the remote and vocals become crystal clear automatically. Tired of loud commercials? Push the OL (Output Leveling) button on the remote and the ZVOX will tame loud commercials before they annoy you. You can also program the ZVOX system so that it works with your current remote control. A large, easy-to-read display is hidden under the front grille, and disappears when you’re not using it.
The SoundBase 770 is the perfect home theater system for people who want fantastic sound, great style and innovative features – without the clutter and complexity of conventional surround sound systems.
*Notice: The SoundBase 770 cabinet depth has changed. It is now 42"W x 3.5"H x 16.5"D. Earlier models were 18" deep. The product performance, feature set and operation are unchanged. *
- Improved Sound
- Built-in Bluetooth
- Super-Clear Vocals
- "Commercial Taming" Technology
- Multiple Inputs Including Front-Panel iPod®/Portable Plug
- Works With Your Remote!
More Detail for the Detail-Minded
Great Sound. The most important feature for any home theater system is high quality sound. The 770 uses a new amplifier design with extremely accurate frequency response and a warm, natural sound and surprisingly powerful bass.
PhaseCue® Virtual Surround Sound. The 770 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. With music, PhaseCue creates a very wide soundstage - it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other. When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelop you, putting you in the middle of the action. While no virtual surround system - including ours - will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 770 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue processing "remarkably ingenious."
Built-In Bluetooth Wireless Audio After a thorough search where we tested a large number of options, ZVOX chose the BlueGiga Bluetooth solution for our new SoundBase systems. Compared to the other systems we tested, the BlueGiga module provided much more reliable connectivity and better range. It also allows for superior audio quality with fully digital internal connections and the aptX software codec. We don't know of a Bluetooth solution that offers better connectivity, range and sound quality than BlueGiga.
Green Design. The 770 uses a highly-efficient Class D digital amplifier. Even playing at quite loud volumes, it usually uses less than 10 watts of total power. And standby power usage tends to hover around 0.1 watts - making it one of the "greenest" audio systems ever made.
Setting A New Standard For Vocal Clarity. ZVOX systems are known for their remarkable vocal clarity. The 770 adds a stunning new feature: AccuVoice. When you push the "AccuVoice" button on the remote control you engage a circuit that mimics the functions of a hearing aid. The frequencies used by human voices are dynamically emphasized, while other frequencies are minimized. We don't know of any other speaker system that provides such an easy-to-use and effective method for improving the intelligibility of television dialog.
Uses Your Remote Control. The new SoundBase system can be programmed to respond to your remote control. The illuminated display walks you through a less-than-a-minute programming cycle. Then your TV remote...or cable box remote...or satellite receiver remote...or ANY remote...can control volume, mute, and power functions of the ZVOX system.The 770 uses a highly advanced processor to digitally tailor the sound for excellent frequency response. The result is a very smooth, very accurate sound. This SoundBase system doesn't sound like a "sound bar," it sounds like an audiophile quality speaker system.
Taming Commercials That Are Too Loud. If you've ever been blasted out of your chair by a too-loud commercial - or by a cable channel that's twice as loud as another channel - you'll love the new Output Leveling (OL) feature on the ZVOX 770. Just push the OL button and a sophisticated processor takes over, making soft sounds louder and loud sounds softer, so there are fewer jarring moments when switching channels or when commercials come on. This system also helps by boosting the audio levels from a DVD or Blu Ray player that is not loud enough.
Disappearing Display. The 770 features a four-digit display located behind the speaker grille that shows the current setting for volume, bass, treble and PhaseCue® (virtual surround) - and also shows when you have engaged the Mute, Output Leveling (OL) or AccuVoice (ACCU) features. A few seconds after you stop using your remote (or front panel) controls, the display disappears completely.
Multiple Inputs, front-panel connection for iPod® and other devices, Dolby Digital decoder. The 770 has two analog audio inputs, two optical (Toslink) digital inputs, one coaxial digital input - plus a front panel 3.5mm analog stereo input for convenient connection of your iPod or other portable audio device. Any specific input can be selected using either the remote control or the slim-line module below the speaker grille. The two digital inputs work with a built-in Dolby Digital decoder, which can improve virtual surround performance and allow for simplified connections to a wide variety of TVs, cable boxes and disc players.
Wood (MDF) Cabinet. The 770 features a hand-built cabinet of heavy MDF. Its low-profile design blends perfectly with flat-panel TVs. Most people don’t even notice the ZVOX 770...until they hear it. Plus, the 770 is designed to serve as a convenient base for flat-panel TVs with screen sizes up to 85". Even older TVs sit perfectly atop this sturdy wooden cabinet, since it can support up to 150 lbs. Place the SoundBase 770 directly underneath your TV and you won't have to worry about making extra room for it on your entertainment cabinet.
- Dimensions: 42 "W x 16.5"D x 3 1/2 "H
- Weight: 32 pounds. With box and packing: 36 pounds.
- Amplifier: The 770 uses a high-efficiency 125 watt Class D digital amplifier.
- Rear inputs: (2) analog stereo inputs, (2) optical (Toslink) digital input, (1) coaxial digital input.
- Front input: (1) 3.5mm stereo front panel input.
- Frequency range: 35 Hz - 20 kHz.
- Virtual surround sound: The 770 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue virtual surround sound processing. PhaseCue, as its name implies, manipulates the phase of the separate channels to "fool the ear" into believing that sound is coming from a variety of sources throughout the room. The benefits of PhaseCue vary greatly based on program material. Live music and well-recorded modern movie soundtracks will deliver rich, three-dimensional sound – pulling the sound out from the speakers and into the room, literally surrounding the listener. Note: All virtual surround systems – including the PhaseCue system – are limited in their effects when compared to a good 5.1 system. And sitcoms, news broadcasts and soundtracks from older movies often have very little in the way of three-dimensional sound. That being said, PhaseCue is capable of generating a wonderful and engaging virtual surround experience.
- BlueGiga Bluetooth Wireless Audio with aptX for optimal connectivity, range and sound quality
- AccuVoice (Dialog Emphasis) and Output Leveling Features
- The 770 is bi-amplified, using a specially designed amplifier that includes electronic contouring for superb frequency response.
- The 770's three 5.25" subwoofers use a high-mass long-throw design in a ported enclosure.
- The 770's five 2"x 3" main speaker drivers use a long-throw design to create remarkably wide range, accurate sound.
- Unlike most systems in its category, the 770 uses an MDF (medium density fiberboard) wood cabinet - instead of molded plastic. MDF is the preferred construction material for high-performance speaker systems.
- A 2-meter RCA-RCA analog stereo connecting cord and an optical digital (TOSLINK) cable are included.
- 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz.
- The ZVOX 770 is backed by a one year limited parts and labor warranty.
What's In The Box?
- One stereo RCA to stereo RCA connecting cable
- One optical digital (TOSLINK) cable
- One remote control with power on/off, volume up/down, mute, PhaseCue (three level settings), bass up/down and treble up/down, input selection, Output Leveling (OL), AccuVoice (ACCU).
- Power cord
- One-sheet safety instructions and operations manual, fast setup sheet and remote control programming instruction sheet.
"The new Zvox Soundbase.770 is a smart alternative to skinny sound bars, says the Audiophiliac. Sound bars and sound bases have been big sellers for years, but Zvox was way ahead of the curve, and started making 'bases way back in 2003. The new Soundbase.770 is their best-ever speaker, and that's saying a lot. I've reviewed hundreds of speakers, and here's one thing I've learned: bigger is usually better. The Soundbase.770 is big where it counts, it's 18 inches deep, most sound bars are 3- or 4-inches deep. The Soundbase.770's size advantage is in large part responsible for its deeper, more accurate bass than skinnier 'bars..." Read the CNET review here
The Z-Base 770 is only 42 ” wide by 18” deep by 3 1/2 ” high. Everything is inside this compact cabinet – speakers, amplifier, virtual surround circuitry and powered subwoofer.
The 770 requires only one connecting cord -- you can use either analog or digital connection options. Connect the one cord and you're done. You can place the 770 directly beneath most flat panel TVs* up to 80", or on a shelf beneath the TV. (* TV base should not exceed 34 " in width or 15" in depth. TV should not exceed 150 pounds in weight. Safety instructions in Z-Base 770 Operating Instructions and in TV's Operating Instructions should be closely examined and followed.)
Simple To Use
In about one minute you can follow a simple routine that will "teach" the ZVOX 770 to respond to the commands of your TV or cable/satellite remote control. So you can adjust control volume, mute, input and power with your remote, not ours. When you've finished the routine, turning on your TV will automatically turn on the ZVOX system. About three minutes after you turn off your TV, the ZVOX system will automatically go into standby mode.
Virtual Surround Sound
The 770 uses ZVOX’s proprietary PhaseCue virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. With music, PhaseCue creates a very wide soundstage – it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other. When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelope you – putting you in the middle of the action. While no virtual surround system – including ours – will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 770 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue system “remarkably ingenious.”
Bluetooth Wireless Audio
After a thorough search where we tested a large number of options, ZVOX chose the BlueGiga Bluetooth solution for our new SoundBase systems. Compared to the other systems we tested, the BlueGiga module provided much more reliable connectivity and better range. It also allows for superior audio quality with fully digital internal connections and the aptX software codec. We don't know of a Bluetooth solution that offers better connectivity, range and sound quality than BlueGiga.
Dialogue Enhancement for Super Clear Vocals
Our exclusive "AccuVoice®"; dialogue enhancement feature uses hearing aid technology to make voices unbelievably clear and easy to understand, at any volume. This is especially useful to people who suffer from hearing loss or impairment.
No Skimping On Speaker Quality
Most audio systems in our price category use very cheap speakers in plastic cabinets. But at ZVOX we’re “old school” about things like this. We use nothing but high quality speaker drivers, carefully designed by ZVOX engineers and manufactured to our specification. The 670 uses specially treated long-excursion main drivers. The cabinet is MDF (medium density fiberboard), the same material uses in most high-end loudspeakers.
Here's what the critics say about ZVOX sound systems:
- "An audiophile quality system." - Stereophile
- "An awesome system...remarkably ingenious." - Sound + Vision
- "Creates a sonic dance." - The New York Times
- "Bigger audio dynamite." - The Wall Street Journal
- "Best Buy." - Consumers Digest
- "Best audio product of the year." - CNET
- "Knockout sound." - MSNBC
- "A single box powerhouse." - Men's Journal
- "Home theater product of the year." - About.com
- "Impressive sound without the clutter." - TV Guide